I teach quite a few specialties and I know how hard it can be as a student to sort through the long list, and try to decipher which specialties might interest you. We will be highlighting a few specialties at a time along with any relevant events or course links!
Here is out HOT LIST of 5 top specialties right now & why you should sign up for these courses at SALT!
5. CoralWatch Specialty- You don't even need to be a diver for this one! You can participate in the Coral Watch Survey and reporting as a snorkeler OR Scuba Diver! In this course we go out with special Coral Watch slates and survey as many corals as we can clearly see / identify.You will get to learn about our local corals, what they should look like when healthy vs those that are stressed, diseased, bleached/ dying/dead. We need all the help we can get monitoring our reefs and providing information to an international database! You can be a part of somer seriously important and fun coral reef research! We will be holding a free coral watch class, snorkel & survey on September 15 as part of our AWARE Week Program. First 10 participants get a free certification!
divers & debris at one of our adopted dive sites
4. Project AWARE Specialties - We teach the MOST of these course. Not only are they awesome, but they can all be completed in one day (each) and really get you in touch with a different side of scuba. Whether you are helping to clean the ocean via Dive Against Debris, learning about corals & what can be done to help them thrive in a changing ocean in Coral Reef Conservation, or learning how to identify fish in the AWARE Fish ID course - you are connecting yourself to the ocean through marine conservation and it makes us proud!
Check our AWARE Week Calendar of Events to see how you can participate as a diver or non diver in coral reef conservation classes, snorkels & dives.
3. Drift Specialty - When the current is right we can fly from site to site! This specialty course is a great way to make the most of the strong currents we sometimes find at our 'back wall sites'. This specialty will teach you the safety tips & tricks needed to complete a drift dive safely so you can enjoy these dives effortlessly! We usually do a drift from Toucari Bay to Douglas Bay as part of this course as well as a drift along the back side of Cabrits National Park. ( CONTACT US DIRECTLY TO BOOK/SCHEDULE YOUR DRIFT SPECIALTY)
2. Wreck Specialty - We have so many wrecks in the North of Dominica, including one in Toucari Bay, you might as well visit them all and earn your wreck specialty certification while you are at it! This is an Advanced Specialty meaning you must already hold your PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or equivalent cert from another agency) to register for this course. You will learn to navigate, map, and penetrate wrecks over 4 dives in this 2 day course!
1. DPV - Diver Propulsion Vehicle - aka the underwater scooter course! This is a super fun course that allows participants the ability to move through the water in a whole new way and we are the only place in Dominica you can earn this specialty or dive on DPVs! Even better you can complete this certification in one day and rent the DPV for the rest of your dives if you'd like! (ONLY divers with DPV Specialty Certs are allowed to rent our DPVs)
Contact us or visit THIS PAGE to sign up for your specialty course!